Cycling is a great sport that can take you almost anywhere in the world. Want to go on an epic cycling trip?
Here are seven things worth considering when planning your journey:
- Level of difficulty – Be sure you are considering how much exercise you will want to get and how much energy you will want to reserve for other activities along the way.
- Distance and time frame – Have your route well-mapped and understand the average time it takes to get from one place to another.
- Route options and elevation change/hills
- Aesthetics, including terrain type – Be aware of forested trails, rolling hills, and mountain passes to choose from along with climate and scenery.
- Budgeting for food & lodging along the way as well as costs involved with any bike or equipment rentals needed.
- Accommodations such as guest houses or hotels.
- The size of the group – This is important to understand far ahead of time so you can properly budget.
When taking a group cycling trip, there are various things to think about that will affect the type of cycling you want.
- Bike packing or touring involves loading up your bicycle with an overnight kit and you will ride from Point A to Point B over several days.
- Alternatively, a person can opt-in for base camp at either hotel in the mountains or a cycling tour trip to Majorca or Spanish islands where you could enjoy sightseeing around their areas instead of having too much extra physical activity involved.
Which is more important to you, luxury or adventure?
- If the idea of weighing yourself down and compromising your performance on the climbs sounds less than attractive to you, then a hotel base camp option will be preferable.
- However, it’s the freedom that comes with carrying everything and the aspect of taking in and weathering the elements that seem nothing short of blissful.
- While it might offer slightly less convenience to plan your cycling adventure, this allows you full control over everything from food choice to where exactly on the route they go next.
Let’s take a look at a short overview of cycling trips in Europe…
- It’s hard to know where to begin when surveying the possibilities for cycling trips, but there are a few standards. Mountains like Mont Ventoux and Alpe d’Huez draw thousands of cyclists as soon as the snow has melted.
- They are well-known climbs that offer great views across European landscapes. However, these places can be crowded during mid-summer months with both bikes and on-foot tourists.
- The Alps might seem the obvious choice for those looking at long-distance riding however, consider other areas too such as Bavaria.
Countless package tours take all the planning out of your hands
- At Rocky Mountain Cycle Tours, we organize some of the most scenic trips with tourists flocking in from all over the world to take advantage of our cycling packages and the majestic Canadian Rockies.
- A packaged tour is something that is attractive for many. With a packaged tour, all you need to do is show up. Our tours include airport shuttle and hotel booking for a hassle-free experience.
When you have such an incredible experience as this, it won’t be long before it becomes an annual excursion for you. Happy cycling!